March 2023 Minutes



Digby Parish Council 


Notes of the parish council meeting held on Monday 13th March 2023 at 7pm, in Digby War Memorial Hall.


Present – James Bourne, Chairman (JB): Tracy Bourne (TB) , Darren Drysdale (DD), Gerald Garton (GG), Karen Groves (KG), Ken Hand (KH), Ian Davies (ID).

In attendance – Angie McDonald, Clerk and Proper Officer.


Public Forum

There were 3 members of the public present.

It was asked if there was any progress with the request for further street lighting for Greendykes footpath.  The Clerk confirmed she would contact LCC for an update.

It was asked what the next steps are for the Community Speed Watch project.  As this item is on the agenda the council had not had the opportunity to discuss it yet.  But briefly more volunteers will be needed to form a working team.  One of the members of the public signed up as volunteer for Community Speed Watch.

There was ‘Thanks’ for the help received from the council in reminding LCC to replace the street light they had removed along Beck Street.


District & County Councillors' Matters

County Councillor Rob Kendrick (RK) spoke about his recent meeting with Highways officials to talk about the poor condition of roads in the area including Fen Road.  The Clerk is to forward an email received over a year ago from Highways stating the road would be put forward for assessment to the asset team.

He agreed to look at the proposed parking restriction at the school entrance. The notification of the consultation had been received today, but the parish council had not requested this.  A school safety zone had been requested.


1.  Chairman's Opening Remarks (23/033)

a) Welcome

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2.  Apologies (23/034)

a) Apologies.

There were no apologies as all councillors were present.

3.  Declarations of Pecuniary Interest & Applications of Dispensation (23/035)

a) There were no declarations of interest.

4.  Signing of the Minutes (23/036)

a) It was proposed by ID, seconded by KG and all agreed to accept the notes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 13th February 2023 as a true and accurate record of that meeting.

5.  Planning Matters (23/037)

a) Planning Application received.


b) Decision Notice Received.


6.  General Parish Matters (23/038)

a)  Community Speed Watch Group.

A presentation asking for volunteers was available at the last coffee morning.  Currently 5 volunteers have come forward to form a team.  It was agreed to invite the Road Safety Team to inform us of the approved locations where the speed watch teams will be permitted to work.  As there are concerns that the approved areas for the teams to work from may not be where the speeding issues are occurring. This needs to be confirmed before further volunteers are looked for and the equipment is purchased.

Action:  Clerk to Contact Road Safety Partnership Team and arrange a site meeting.


19.37 – The Chairman closed the meeting to permit District Councillor Jim Clarke to speak.

JC spoke about council tax increase, the Elections scheduled for May 6th and how the wards have changed.  Digby will only have one district councillor after the election.

JC spoke of attending the large public meeting at Scopwick where the proposed Solar farm development was the topic.  91% in attendance voted against the proposal. 

19.47.  JC left the meeting and the Chairman re-opened the meeting.

b)  Grant Request for Kings Coronation.

A grant request for £381.00 has been made to put on a village celebration for the King’s Coronation.  The event is to take place in the grounds of the village hall and the grant will pay for the insurance cover, decorations for inside and outside the hall, and the trophies for the competitions. It was proposed by JB, seconded by KG and all agreed the grant be awarded.

Action:  The Clerk to notify Maggie Carr the grant has been approved

c)   ‘How to use a Defibrillator’ Training Session.

It was agreed to ask L.I.V.E.S. if they could provide a training session on how to use a Defibrillator. The training could take place at one of the monthly coffee mornings.

Action: Clerk to book training and liaise with the Village Hall Committee.

d)  Quickline 

GG requested it is in the minutes that Quickline (a broadband provider) has not been endorsed by the Parish Council.

7.  Highways (23/039)

a) Potholes and Highway issues.

DD confirmed the loose coping stones over the retaining wall of the new flood relief scheme has been reported to FixMyStreet.

b)  Overgrown footpath of Forget-me-not Way and Church Street.

No update has been received.

c)  Update on implementation of 40mph limit for B1188.

The consultation for the 40mph speed restriction completes on 24th March.  If no objections are received the work contract will be issued.  We will be updated from Highways on the agreed work program.

8.  The Village Hall (23/040)

a) Minutes from the Latest Meeting of the Committee.

The minutes have been distributed to all the councillors.  A message of ‘thanks’ for the assistance with the insurance costs has been received from the Village Hall Committee.

b)  Grant to the Village Hall.

The Clerk confirmed the grant of £520 awarded to the village hall to go towards the insurance costs has been paid. 

9.  Drainage (23/041)

a)  Drainage Issues.

GG and JB reiterated the need for the silt to be removed from the Beck, at a meeting with Environmental Agency (EA) representatives, when they attended the public meeting on 4th March at the Village Hall. 

b)  Riparian Project Public Meeting, held 4th March.

LCC held a public meeting at the coffee morning on 4th March, with representatives from IDB and EA in attendance.  This is one of four public meetings to be held in the county.  The results from the meetings are currently being collated and we will be notified of the outcome.

10. Playing Field, Play Areas and Village General (23/042)

a) Monthly inspection of the play equipment.

GG is to carry out the inspection for this month.

JB has had to remove a section of the roof of the dug-out, to make it safe, after the recent strong winds had broken the fixings at the front and it was flapping dangerously in the wind.

b) Improvements the Field Road Surface.

JB explained he has spoken to a contractor to for a quote to carry out the improvements within the playing field entrance off B1188. He has also secured a load of stone from the Dyson group as a donation towards the work.  With this stone the quote is still £3,000.  It was agreed to try and find grant funding.  In the meantime, the football club will be requested to not park on the field.

Action: Look for any grants and ask Village Hall Committee for permission to use the car park, for the short term, for the football teams

b) Update on the Bowls Club lease.

A meeting has taken place with the Bowls Club Chairman to confirm requirements of the lease.  It was proposed by JB, seconded by KG that the solicitor is employed at the agreed £750.00 to complete the lease.

Action: TB to contact the solicitor to commence work

c)  Replacement trees within the Playing Field. 

KH confirmed the trees have now been planted 

d)  Ground Maintenance Contracts for 2023/24.

The Clerk provided the council with copies of two quotations for the grass cutting contract.  It was agreed to stay with MalcFirth for the large field contract and ask CJPGarden Services if they would be interested in the smaller contract of cutting the Beck and Greendykes.

The pest control Contract is due for renewal from 1st April, it has increased to £160.00 for the year for unlimited call outs.  It was RESOLVED to remain with this contract.

11.  Allotments (23/043)

a) Updates from the Allotment Committee.

The planned meeting of the committee was delayed due to the snowy weather, so at present there is nothing to report.

The Clerk informed the meeting Allotment lease is due for review

Action:  Clerk to add Allotment Lease to next agenda.

12.  Finance (23/044)

a) Bank Balances and Approval of Bank Reconciliation.

PC General Acc 11,549.69

Allotment Acc   6,212.05

Mary Gresswell Trust          5.45

The bank reconciliation was approved, the clerk also provided details on the expenditure of the reserves for the last year.  All were within the planned budget.

b) Income Received in Feb/Mar

Allotment Field Rent £600.00

c) Approval of Payments.

It was proposed by ID, seconded by DD and RESOLVED the following payments are made


Salaries/Expenses/HMRC £761.99

LALC Subscription  £233.06

Philip Baumber – Allotment hedge cutting   50.00 + VAT 10.00 = £  60.00

CJP Garden Services       £  30.00

Information Commissioners Office – renewal   £   35.00

Digby War Memorial Hall – rent for Jan   £   16.00

Autela Payroll Services   57.76 + VAT 11.55 =  £  69.31

Payments to be made after 1st April

LALC training scheme 115.00 + VAT 23.00  =£138.00

Website maint   85.00


d)  New Signatories 

The bank has confirmed KH is now an authorised signatory

13.  Correspondence (23/045)

a) LALC Newsletter - Distributed to all councillors

b) NKDC Newsletter - Distributed to all councillors 

c)  LCC – Towns and Parishes Newsletter Jan 23

d) Citizens Advice – donation request.

e) LCC – Metheringham Level Crossing – Temporary Closure 20.3.23 from 21.30hrs until 21.3.23 at 05.00hrs

f)  LCC -Parking restriction for Church Street at school entrance consultation – Not what we asked for, we requested a School Safety Zone, further consultation is required with residents.

TB left the meeting 20.43

14.  Dates of Future Meetings (23/046)

Parish Council meetings

     For 2023 –   12th Apr, 15th May, 12th Jun, 10th Jul, 14th Aug, 11th Sep, 9th Oct, 13th Nov, 11th Dec

Annual Parish Meeting 26th April

15.  Any Business to Note for the Next Agenda (23/047)

Repair to bin at The Hurn

Dug Out – plans for its future.

16.  Closed Session (23/048)

For confidential items in accordance with the Public Bodies Act 1960, if required.

This item was not required.


20.50hrs – There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed.